heatherfinley

Heather Finley's Blog

I write comics including Zombies vs Cheerleaders and Grimm Fairy Tales. I also write for the website Giant Nerd Robot. Before going to sleep, I always spend hours reading. It's been a habit since childhood.

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw - Amber Benson I loved this book. It quickly became a new favorite. First off, it is hysterically funny. I laughed out loud so many times. The part that was super dramatic only to find out that the girl was at Target cracked me up. When I saw Amber Benson talk on a panel at SDCC, I had tears streaming down by face I was laughing so hard. The other people on the panel could barely hold it together they were laughing so hard too. It is easy to see her personality shine through in this book.

Benson's writing is super vivid as well. Normally I hate books that slip too much into the alt-universes but these ones are stark in a way that they are still interesting but extremely easy to put myself in. I like that a lot. The characters as well are easy to picture. I thought the main character was definitely Amber herself. Clio made me think of Miley Cyrus post hair cut. Jarvis made me think of the fawn from Narnia.

The way this story tied together was excellent. There was a lot of things that I wondered about during the book and when they were resolved there was that ah-ha moment. Not all writers have the ability to sprinkle in things that grab the reader's attention without outright stating that they are important to the story. Like in a mystery book when the protagonist picks up something and thinks, hmm this is odd, then it ends up being a key to the story. I don't mind books that do that but I think Benson is talented at getting the reader to wonder about things all on their own.

Another reason I really loved this book was Bast and the whole Egyptian thing. I took my fair share of history classes and I loved the way different elements were weaved into this story. Bast is my personal favorite Goddess because, well honestly I'm a crazy cat lady.

This was definitely a great book to end my 60 book goal for 2012. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.