heatherfinley

Heather Finley's Blog

I write comics including Zombies vs Cheerleaders and Grimm Fairy Tales. I also write for the website Giant Nerd Robot. Before going to sleep, I always spend hours reading. It's been a habit since childhood.

Strip City: A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America

Strip City: A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America - Lily Burana I picked up this book off the bargin table because I find anything that is set in New Jersey in any way interesting. That fact that the author writes for publications like The Washington Post and Spin attracted me to it as well.

Once I started this book I could not put it down. Lily is a talented writer with an amazing voice. It was a story of someone confronting their past in a very powerful way. Even though I can't relate to stripping (except for the fact that I take pictures at a bar with stripper poles in it), I was able to relate to someone facing their demons.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this book is that it gave the history of a culture that I wasn't familar with. Even though I was an English major in college, I took a lot of history classes because I found them interesting. I love reading books that are more modern cultural history which is what I would put this book under.